If you want the memory palace technique to really work for you, then here are some great tips! Firstly, if you don’t know what a memory palace is, then look at my article about how to use the memory palace technique. After that, if you want some great tips about creating the structure for your memory palace, these tips to create a memory palace should really help.
In this article I’m going to assume that you know how to use the memory palace technique and that you have created a great memory palace in your mind. This is where we get to use the memory palace to actually remember something!
Tips to remember things quickly using the memory palace technique
- Firstly, you should have a clear idea of what it is that you want to memorize, broken down into separate items. This is critically important because at each hook, you have to be able to create a really clear visualization in order to remember it.
- Go wild! The more absurd, humorous or just plain weird you make your visualization, the easier it will be for you to use the memory palace technique effectively.
- Use all of your senses. Don’t just use your sense of sight, but include your other senses as well, such as hearing or touch. Also, for most people, the sense of smell is the best sense for remembering things – so if you can vividly imagine smells that’s great! (I can’t really imagine smells, so don’t worry if your ability to imagine a particular sense is a bit weak – it should get stronger with practise).
- Keep it moving. Visualize things as a movie scene, with things happening in it – this is far more effective that just visualizing a still image.
- Link all of the items together as a story. People are great at remembering stories, so take advantage of this and have each visualization you create build on the one before, so that you are creating a single story, made up of separate scenes.
- Rehearse! Don’t forget to rehearse your memory palace, once you have created all of your hooks. Run through the entire palace a few times until you are comfortable that you can remember it all.
- Refresh your memory occasionally – if you have to keep the memory palace in memory for a while, every now and again run through the entire visualization again, so that it stays fresh in your mind.
If you have created a great memory palace and then use these techniques, with a bit of practise it should become really easy for you to memorize things fast and be able to recall them quickly and accurately.